Tuesday 29 April 2008

Taste of Spring



Apart from the Sweet Peas none of our plants are flowering yet so I was delighted when I came across this patch of Wood Sorrel yesterday lunch time when walking Willow and Charlie down by the stream which bounces along the bottom of the valley. it was thriving on a mossy mound alongside Wood Anemone, Bluebells and Wild Garlic under the dappled light of Wild Cherry in flower.....sigh.... a more beautiful sight is hard to imagine.

As I stopped in my tracks and took in this perfect image of spring, inevitably the dogs thought I must have found something particularly tasty and immediately set about searching through the foliage to locate it. Fortunately, I managed to distract them before they did too much damage. Wood Sorrel is actually pretty enough to eat although only advised in small quantities and has a delicious sharp lemon taste.

As I walked back along the valley there were more flowery delights to be enjoyed with Primrose, Violet and Greater Stitchwort all escaping from the woodland edge
to catch some of the spring sunshine.

Despite how much I enjoy growing flowers, there is a particularly satisfying feeling to be had from seeing plants growing naturally in the place that nature intended for them. Suitably inspired, I called the dogs and rushed back to the polytunnels to get on with nurturing some of our domesticated lovelies.